We are sure that you have heard of many highly successful people who follow strict routines that may seem odd. These routines can consist of strict timetables, vigorous workouts or even strange diets. Supposedly Mark Wahlberg gets up at 2:30 am to begin his daily workout regime and Mozart always insisted on starting the day with a coffee made with exactly 60 coffee beans that he counted out himself. We are not insinuating that you must start an obsessive routine, but it is clear that when a person has structure in their life, success is easier to achieve.
What we are trying to get across in this post is that language learning, like many other things in life depends on LIFE CHOICES. People who learn languages in a consistent way will be guaranteed success! It is all too easy to make excuses and insist that you have no time to learn a language, but this is really down to a person´s own decisions. It is easy to make time for language learning when a person really wants to, all they have to do is adapt.
How about trying these strategies to enhance your learning?
- On the way to work, instead of listening to music, listen to a foreign language podcast
- Instead of watching reality TV, watch a foreign language film with subtitles and take notes
- Read a simple foreign language book for 15 minutes per day
- Instead of going to the local pub, go to an language exchange at a local café
- Instead of using Facebook, sign up for a language exchange and chat online
- Change your phone into a foreign language
- Use a language learning app like Babbel or Duolingo instead of playing computer games
Another point to take into account is that it is easy to waste time if we do not organise our language learning. Our START METHOD clearly sets out a structured way that we can save time and learn effectively. We must focus on QUALITY AND NOT QUANTITY. Language learning is not about trying to learn everything, but focussing on high frequency language that we will be able to use in context. WE MUST HAVE A CLEAR PLAN to achieve success and STAY MOTIVATED. This is why it is so important to have a strict routine that you can stick to.