Giving advice in English is a key skill that all learners must master. There are various different forms that can be used, and learners of English should vary them.
2nd Conditional: IF + PAST + , + WOULD/COULD/MIGHT + BARE INFINITIVE
If I were you, I would study with a native teacher.
If I had your ability, I would try to become a professional athlete.
You can also use expressions that are similar to “If I were you…”
In your shoes…
In your situation…
In your place…
Should: SHOULD + BARE INFINITIVE
You should do as many mock exams as you can.
You should go to the doctor if it doesn´t get better soon
Ought to: OUGHT TO + BARE INFINITIVE
You ought to listen to your tutor and do as he says
He ought to go to university in London as he will have a better experience
Had better: HAD BETTER + BARE INFINITIVE
You had better learn at least two foreign languages
You had better hand in you assignment before the deadline
Be a good idea: WOULD/COULD/MIGHT + BE A GOOD IDEA + INFINITIVE
It might be a good idea to study abroad next year
It would be a good idea to take a look at our website for vocabulary paractice
- Should all university students learn at least one foreign language?
- Ought people to go to the doctor regularly to have a check up?
- If you were me, would you live abroad at least once in your life?
- If I have time and money, should I do a Master´s degree?
- Would it be a good idea to learn how to cook before I move out of my parent´s house?
- If you have your job, how might you change your situation?
- If I felt depressed, how could I become happier?
- If you thought that your partner were cheating on you, what would you do?
- When you move to a new city, had you better try to make new friends?
- If you don´t earn enough money, what ought you to do?
- If your partner didn´t help with the house work, what could you do about it?
- If your English doesn´t improve quickly, what should you do?
- If you were in my shoes, what would you study at university?
- How had teacher better teach English to English language learners?
- How should the government improve the quality of life for general people?