THE (Definite article)
We use the definite article to speak about specific things:
- Singular g. Can you pass me the pen, please? (the pen we were talking about)
- Plural g. I have got the apples that you asked for.
A/AN (Indefinite articles)
We use the indefinite articles to speak about non specific things:
- Singular g. I would like a sandwich please. (any sandwich will be fine)
—- (Zero article)
We use the zero article to speak about general things:
- Singular (uncountable) g. People in this country are rude.
- Plural g. Cheetahs are the fastest land animal on the planet.
TIME – We DO NOT use ‘the’ when referring to times of the day, particular days, years, seasons or months:
dawn, dusk, daybreak, midday, 9.30pm, 5.45am, Monday, Wednesday, January, October, 1487, 2014
PLACES – We DO NOT use ´the´ when referring to certain places
College/university, school, hospital, town, church, class, court, bed, prison, home