English can be difficult to learn, but this is usually due to people using the wrong types of methods for doing so. Here are some helpful ways to improve your English.
SEE OUR POST ON STUDYING ENGLISH ONLINE
The first thing to remember is that consistency is key. You should try to use English (Speak, read, listen and write) every day for between 10-30 minutes to make sure that you notice the progression.
If you are preparing for an English exam take a look at the different levels:
- THINK IN ENGLISH
A great way to improve your English is to think. This will help you with your fluency and also show you where you have gaps in your knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
- Try looking at simple questions and trying to answer them, but only thinking of the answer. This will help you to stop translating before you speak.
- Think about your daily activities, this may be simple but it is great to reinforce and recycle learning.
SEE OUR POST ON SPEAKING ENGLISH
2. RECORD YOUR OWN VOICE
To learn a language well you need to become familiar with speaking it and pronouncing words well. The problem is we do not know how our own voice sounds while we are speaking.
- Try listening to something, repeating it, recording it (on your phone for example), listening to your voice and trying to improve your pronunciation. Trust me, it works!
SEE OUR POST ON STARTER SPEAKING QUESTIONS
3. READ AND WRITE ALL THE TIME
To improve your writing (and speaking skills) you need to actively try to produce language. It is a good idea to do the following things:
- Reading is essential. You need to read all types of texts at all types of levels. For exam practice, you should read example answers and questions then copy the phrases, vocabulary and structural forms that you like. It is normal to have your favourite expressions, and you should use them frequently.
- Write frequently: messages, notes, phrases, emails, letters, postcards etc. Through practice you will be able to produce language in lots of different situations and contexts.
SEE OUR POST ON IMPROVING YOUR WRITING
4. WATCH TV
To improve your listening and reading skills you should watch TV in English. I recommend watch programmes that you have already seen in your own langauge in English, with English subtitles.
- You should watch it with a notebook. Every time you do not understand something, write it down. At the end of the programme you can look for the meaning of the words and phrases. THEN YOU SHOULD REPEAT THE PROGRAMME AND YOU WILL SEE YOU UNDERSTAND A LOT MORE. AFTER A FEW MONTHS OF DOING THIS EVERYDAY, YOUR UNDERSTANDING WILL IMPROVE A LOT!
SEE OUR POST ON LISTENING SKILLS
5. HAVE A NOTEBOOK
To learn English well you must have a wide range of vocabulary. It is normal to have your favourite phrases and expressions.
- You should develop a bank of vocabulary and know how to use it in many different contexts. When I was learning Spanish, I used to carry my notebook everywhere and I was always writing down the new things I learned to later research at home and consolidate so that I could use it on another occasion.
SEE OUR POST ON VOCABULARY TRICKS
FOR OUR LANGUAGE LEARNING COURSES TO PREPARE THE PET (B1) FCE (B2) AND CAE (C1) EXAMS SEE THE LINK