At advanced level candidates need to be able to speak about familiar and unfamiliar topics. They should be able to express themselves with ease and have a good control of both simple and complex grammar forms. See our post on Speaking for Cambridge exams (HERE)
- Sport and leisure
- How often do you get around to working out?
- What are the pros and cons of doing physical activity?
- Have you ever had an amazing sporting experience?
- Are there any times that you would rather relax to unwind from the stress of your routine rather than be active?
- What has been your greatest sporting achievement?
2. Success and failure
- What would you consider to be your greatest achievement?
- What is success? Define it.
- Is money an essential part of success nowadays?
- Can massive failures ever contribute towards a person´s success?
- Have you ever failed miserably at something?
- How has the internet changed the way we communicate?
- What negative effects has the internet had on our social lives?
- Are you keen on talking on the phone? Why (not)?
- When was the last time you sent a personal letter?
- Which forms of communication will become obsolete?
- How important is our diet in living a healthy life?
- Would you ever consider having cosmetic surgery?
- Do you visit the doctor as often as you should?
- Are people aware of the dangers of cigarettes and alcohol?
- What is the best way of preventing or dealing with drug addiction?
- Do you know anyone who has been a victim of crime?
- Should any illegal substances such as cocaine be legalized?
- What is the most serious crime one can commit?
- What can we do to ensure that youngsters don´t get involved in criminal behaviour?
- What is the most common crime in your region?
6. People and their lives
- What are the benefits of having a fixed routine?
- Are you a fan of taking up new activities?
- Would you say you are more of an early riser or a night-owl?
- When was the last time you made drastic changes to your daily routine?
- What is your opinion on flexi´time at work?
7. The environment
- Would you say that young people concern themselves with environmental issues?
- Are there any types of natural disaster that occur in your country?
- What can be done to prevent global warming?
- Are national governments doing enough to stop the effects of climate change?
- Do you think it should be obligatory to recycle, punishable with a fine?
- What measures do you put in place to make sure you use your time effectively?
- Do you ever procrastinate? Why (not)?
- Name a situation in which you need to kill time
- Do you enjoy hanging out with your family?
- What types of activities do you need to take your time over?
9. Shopping and buying things
- What´s your view of online shopping?
- Do you think shopping on the internet will ever overtake the convential way of shopping?
- What possible drawbacks could shopping online have?
- Do you reckon that people spend money on things that they do not need nowadays?
- When was the last time you spend an arm and a leg?
10. Work and our careers
- Is it a hood idea to stay in the same job your whole life or to try different things?
- Have you ever experienced great success at work?
- Would you ever consider changing career paths?
- Have you ever been fired from your job? Why?
- Have you ever been unemployed for a long period of time? How did/would you feel?
11. Education and our develipment
- Is it essential to get a degree in today´s society?
- Which types of degrees are better, vocational or accademic?
- Would you dare say that you are a good student?
- What can students learn from failing exams?
- How could the education system be improved in your country?
12. Travel and tourism
- Are you keen on travelling alone or with others?
- What are the possible difficulties faced when travelling abroad?
- Is travelling to a different country the best way to learn a language?
- Have you ever had a nightmare trip? Why?
- Due to the improvement of living standards, has travelling become easier in recent times?
- Would you say that technology has improved our lives?
- What are the possible risks of using the internet?
- What can be done about addiction to technology?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages to owning a mobile phone?
- In which ways can technology impede our progress at school/university/work?
14. Friends, family and relationships
- Have new technologies made us more or less sociable?
- Would you say you value the opinion of your friends or family more?
- Do you get on with all the members of your family?
- Do you need to cut down on the amount of time you spend with anyone you know?
- How can your family help you cut out behaviour that can be detremental to your progress?
OTHER POSTS FOR THE ADVANCED CAMBRIDGE EXAMS
LISTENING LISTENING FOR THE CAE