An essential part of learning a language is the methodology used. I have spoken about the importance of using a language and context in the past, as well as giving advice for improving the individual skills sets such as speaking and listening, so I thought it right to put it into a simple acronym to be able to remember: START
See it, say it and write it down
Try it in useful phrases that your will actually need
Apply it to a conversation in various contexts
Repeat it so that you can actually remember it
Test it by using it in a context and internalize it
This methodology is simple and language learners MUST UNDERSTAND THAT HAVING A STRICT PROCESS IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. The learner should apply this simple method consistently. To make this process easier I have put it into 5 points. when dealing with new language (vocabulary or grammar structures), the learner should:
1. See it and say it to be clear about what they want to learn. There is an importance of learning by ear. You need to understand the sounds related to the language. You should learn pronunciation through imitation, self-recording and repetition.
2. Translate (if necessary) and try it out in a context, this is essential with phrasal verbs or idioms. To remember a phrase you should put it into a phrase so that you can remember it.
3. Apply it to various contexts and use it in several phrases (say it, listen to it, write it and read it). It is essential to use language frequently to help with recall.
4. Review it and try to remember it. It is important to recall it frequently. You must consolidate language to internalize it.
5. Test it by using it in various contexts and in real life (or exam) situations. Testing new knowledge is a key part of language learning; this determines if you can apply language when you need to.
We believe in key language learning principles:
- Motivation – enjoy the experience and have small goals that you can achieve
- Organisation – do not try to learn everything, but focus on what you need
- Application to the 4 skills (speaking, reading, writing and listening)
- Repetition and consistency are essential to achieve success
- A phrase in a context is much easier to remember than random words
- Recycling and reviewing is essential to maintain language level
FOR ACCESS TO OUR CAMBRIDGE EXAM PREPARATION COURSES SEE THE LINK